How A Wetsuit Works by Blue Seventy
A wetsuit is a neoprene insulation suit made for warmth and protection in the water. Wetsuits work by trapping a thin layer of water between your body and the suit. This layer of water is warmed by your body which prevents you from losing too much heat while in the water.
Water molecules conduct energy (heat) 25-40 times faster compared to air molecules. For example, on a 60-degree day you probably feel comfortable outdoors with jeans and a shirt whereas you will probably start to shiver within minutes while swimming in the same temperature water.
Wetsuits are not meant to keep you entirely dry. Neoprene is made of small closed cells that are filled with air which provide insulation against cold water by trapping heat in. The thicker the suit's neoprene, the warmer the suit will be because it has more heat-trapping insulation. It is important to research the water temperature (keeping in mind the different seasons) in the region where you will primarily use your wetsuit.
Wetsuit thickness is an important aspect to consider when considering warmth. The thicker the neoprene the colder the temperature the suit can be used in. However, the thicker the wetsuit the less flexibility it will have. Neoprene thickness is often displayed as a number e.g. 3:4:4 or 3:4. The First number is the thickness of the core, second is the thickness of extremities (if its 2 numbers the second number will be thickness in legs).
Blue Seventy Wetsuit Temperature Guide
- Glide- 14.5c Blueseventy Glide Wetsuit Womens – Tri Wetsuit Hire
- Sprint- 12.5c 2022 Blueseventy Sprint Triathlon Wetsuit Womens – Tri Wetsuit Hire
- Fusion- 12.5c Blueseventy Fusion Triathlon Wetsuit Womens – Tri Wetsuit Hire
- Reaction- 12.5c Blueseventy Reaction Triathlon Wetsuit Womens – Tri Wetsuit Hire
- Helix- 12.5c Blueseventy Helix Triathlon Wetsuit Womens – Tri Wetsuit Hire
- Thermal Reaction- 8.5c 2022 Blueseventy Reaction Thermal Triathlon Wetsuit Womens – Tri Wetsuit Hire
If you have any questions or need help choosing a wetsuit then we would love to hear from you
Tri Wetsuit Hire